The Most Important Marketing Number Most Business Owners Don’t Know About
Do you know what your domain authority is? Google does…
Domain authority is a number between 1 and 100 that indicates to search engines how trustworthy and share-worthy your website is.
Want to check out your websites domain authority? Here’s a free tool
The title is misleading because domain authority as a number is a number calculated by an SEO company.
Still useful because Google looks at factors that can be calculated to predict trust to rank websites in search results.
When you understand how Google makes recommendations, you will intuitively become a better SEO strategist.
So, in short. Google is motivated to make recommendations that people will find useful. The reason you search for something using Google is that you know it’s likely the websites towards the top are going to be good resources. If Google kept recommending x-rated material for your tax question, you wouldn’t use it.
So how does Google rank and organize over half a billion websites? Using machines and not real Google employees.
Metrics and indicators Google uses to rank websites (Domain Authority):
- How many years the website has been around (domain age)
- How many people go to that website (traffic), and how many people stay on that page and don’t click away right away (bounce rate)
- How many credible websites are linking to your website
- How many uncredible websites are you linking out to
- Security: is your website secure or are there a lot of pop-ups and unannounced spambots
- Are there social media and directory listings going back to your site